Tuesday, June 12, 2012

When it's 91º F outside (that's almost 33º C for everyone in the rest of the world) and you don't have air conditioning you, that is to say I, don't turn on the oven.  That sounds great, but I've been craving corn bread.  Now I'm sure this idea didn't originate with me.  I probably heard it somewhere, sometime and tried it.
It worked and so I'm sharing it with you.  Something else I like about this is that if you have leftovers (no that my boys are gone I'm beginning to understand the meaning of that word), you can freeze them and pop them in a toaster to enjoy like freshly-made.
My first choice is still to fix it in the oven in a cast iron skillet but let's face it, when it's too hot or time is too short, this is a great solution.  Think 25 minutes in the oven v.s 5-7 minutes in the waffle iron.
You don't have to use this recipe.  If you have a favorite recipe, just use it.

Cornbread waffles with fresh
strawberries and some honey butter.
Cornbread Waffles

  • 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp double-acting baking powder
  • 1 Tbs sugar (optional)
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 2 1/2 Tbs melted butter, drippings or oil
  • 1 cup milk

Preparation
Preheat the waffle iron.  I had mine turned close to high, but go by what you know about your waffle iron, not this recipe.
Mix the dry ingredients to combine.  Stir the beaten egg and melted butter into the milk.  Pour this mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined.
Brush the waffle iron with oil or melted butter, or spray it with non-stick spray.  Spread the batter like when making waffles.  If this recipe is too much for your waffle iron, make an additional batch as necessary.
Let cook 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.

Serving
Serve as you would cornbread.  We just had these with fried chicken my honey fixed for dinner.  Some of my favorites are homemade honey butter and habañero peach jam.

Comments on Ingredients:
All-purpose flour:  I used unbleached flour.  You can also mix in some whole wheat, but not very much before it really changes the texture.
Double-acting baking powder:  If you've been following this blog you know my mantra...no aluminum.
Sugar:  It's a matter of personal taste.
Salt:  Salt affects texture as much as taste.  If you're on a restricted salt diet, leave it out.
Cornmeal:  We got used to me using cornmeal that I ground from sweet corn.  No need for additional sugar.  Now that I have run out we really notice the difference.
Egg:  I don't like to dirty too many dishes.  It's okay to drop the egg into the milk that's in the measuring cup and beating it there, just so you measure the milk out first.
Melted butter:  My original recipe called for melted drippings.  I usually use half butter and half oil.
Milk:  While I don't like to admit it, whole milk does make it richer and "better" but not better enough for me to be willing to give up using skim milk.  I'd rather make up the extra fat using butter.
Yummy leftovers in the toaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment