Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Keeping it in glass with a tight-fitting
lid makes for ideal storage and a pretty
presentation.  It stays cold longer too.
Butter isn't as bad for you as they used to think...and margarine (or oleo) keeps proving to be problematic with the many chemicals and processes employed to fool us into thinking it tastes like butter.  As the commercial used to say, "It's not nice to fool mother nature!" and I would have to agree.  Who wants to eat a close relative of plastic!
The better butter recipe that I started using back in 1979 came from the cookbook Laurel's Kitchen (1976).  Since then many folks have adapted it and even The New Laurel's Kitchen (1986) has made changes to the recipe.  I too have made my own changes.  One change is strictly employed for the summer months, when better butter just doesn't stay solid long enough to make it through a meal.  Aside from changes, I also make additions such as honey, maple syrup or citrus juice and zest.

Better Butter for Summer

  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1/2 cup oil 
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 tsp lecithin (optional)

Preparation
Let the butter soften (not melt) in a bowl or your blender carafe.  If the coconut oil is solid, warm it until it is soft or melted.  Whip the butter until fluffy and then drizzle in the oils and lecithin.  Pour into small serving containers, cover with lids and refrigerate.  I like to use clear glass containers to help it stay cold longer when out of the refrigerator.

Additions
As a rule, I do not make additions to a full batch.  After the better butter is made, I will add enough to make one container of a flavored butter.  Here are some examples:
Add orange marmalade.
Add honey or maple syrup...please only the REAL thing.
Add finely minced herbs.
Add finely minced homemade candied citrus peel or ginger.

Comments on Ingredients:
Butter:  Your finished product can only be as good as the ingredients you begin with.  Buy a good quality butter.  I prefer to buy unsalted so I can control the amount of salt that goes into what I am baking or cooking.  If you like salted butter on your toast and nobody in your family is on a salt-restricted diet, by all means add some to your batch.
Oil:  If you don't like the taste of olive oil, don't use it here. Choose an oil that does not add a flavor of its own.  Now that we are beginning to see more and more soy allergies or sensitivities, I would caution anyone who has or cooks for someone who has this issue to avoid vegetable oil.  Whatever you choose, read the ingredients list - soybeans or soybean oil may well be on the list.
Coconut oil:  In summer I replace half of the oil that is normally called for with coconut oil because it helps the butter stay solid a little longer while out of the refrigerator.
Lecithin: This emulsifier was originally extracted from egg yolks.  The most common source of it today is soy beans.  Know your source if you have a sensitivity.  It's optional for this recipe - you don't need to run out and buy some.

2 comments:

  1. Teach me your ways! I should have learned more from you while I was at your house! Miss and Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only a text, phone call, e-mail or 225 miles away. We can work something out. Every time Don cuts up pineapple I think of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete