Friday, June 22, 2012

Tasty and refreshing slaw.
Do you ever see a bowl of coleslaw and get all excited only to be let down once it's in your mouth?  Me too!    It wasn't until I tasted Grandma Brooks' coleslaw that I knew this dressing recipe would be a keeper.  Aside from the good taste and easy preparation, it's one you don't have to worry about as it sits out in the heat at the family reunion.
Another plus is that this recipe is relatively easy to remember.  Everything is in halves, with one exception.  The vinegar should be a very generous "half," so I use a little under half on oil and a little over half on vinegar (or just add about 3 tablespoons vinegar).  It's also very easy to double.  I can't give you exact quantities of cabbage, etc. to use since the size of a head of cabbage varies considerably, but on average this will take care of slaw made from half a head of cabbage.  See more comments on this in the ingredients section.  This will easily handle one of those store-bought pre-mixed bags of slaw.
If you are making it a day ahead, I would give one caution about using red cabbage in the mix.  I like pink.  Most folks don't get excited about eating pink slaw though.  My solution is simple.  Put all your slaw mix except the red cabbage (really...why do they call it red when we all know it's purple!) in one container.  Put the red cabbage in a separate container.  Divide the slaw dressing between the two.  The next day, before you serve it, stir them together.  Voilà!  A tasty and pretty presentation.
Slicing by hand, using a mandolin slicer or a food processor and how hard you push when you use the latter two all effects the thickness of the shredded cabbage.  I like to add a minced onion and shredded carrot.  How much?  I just shred and add until it looks right.  What's right?  When it looks good to me.  You've seen slaw before - picture it.  You'll know if there's more orange in there than looks right.  Trust me, you will.  To keep the finished product nice and crispy, adjust when you pour the dressing over the cabbage.  With relatively wide strips, pour the dressing over as soon as it's done.  With very thin strips, let it cool slightly before pouring it on or you'll almost cook the cabbage.
Shredded cabbage and carrots with
minced onions.
Grandma Brooks' Coleslaw Dressing
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp mustard powder
Preparation
Put all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Stir and simmer until sugar is dissolved.  Pour over slaw or let cool slightly before pouring, depending on the width of the cabbage slices.  Stir well and let cool.  Don't worry if the dressing does not completely cover the slaw.  Keep stirring it occasionally and it will shrink down and work nicely.  The shrinkage is why it's a good idea to fix it in one bowl and serve it in another.  Chances are it will look like you didn't make enough, but it's kind of like mashed potatoes...it never looks like enough and it's usually too much. Refrigerate.
Comments on Ingredients
Shredded red cabbage.
Oil: My preference is an oil that doesn't bring a flavor of its own to this dish.  Usually I choose canola oil.
Vinegar:  Same story as for oil.  I use white vinegar, since it doesn't bring a flavor of its own.  Please note that I pay attention to what brand of white vinegar - they are not all created equal.  Personally, even though they say in the end it makes no difference, I prefer to use a brand that does not use petroleum as a starter.  Call me strange.
Sugar: If you're watching your sugar intake, you can completely or partly replace the sugar with your favorite sweetener.  My favorite is Stevia.  Depending on which substitute you use, make sure you add it at the end of cooking.
Salt and Pepper:  If you are on a salt-restricted diet, eliminate or replace it as you would in other dishes.  These two ingredients are very much a matter of personal taste.
Right before serving, mix the red
cabbage into the slaw mix.
Mustard Powder:  In a pinch, a squirt of yellow mustard will do.  It's not ideal, but you can get by with it.  The only time I tried it, I learned that it doesn't mix into the dressing well.  Give it a hard stir with a whisk right before you pour it over the slaw.
Alternate Serving Idea
Several times now I have heard that in parts of the south their barbecue sandwiches have a generous helping of slaw on top of the pulled pork.  It sounded kind of strange at first, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to try it.  Saturday I finally had the opportunity and it was oh so delicious.  It may have been the first time to eat it that way, but it won't be the last!











No comments:

Post a Comment