Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fresh Farm Eggs

Wow the excitement at our house!  Imagine waiting for the big day, watching those hens grow, listening to them starting to cluck like they had something to cluck about and then suddenly there they are:  eggs!  It took a little while to come to my senses and stop making big entrepreneurial plans for those eggs.  There were sixteen beautiful little eggs.
Ah...but nobody said they were all laid on the same day.  Return to reality!  Now everyday will be like Easter because only a few have decided to lay in the nest boxes.  We're learning where their favorite places are and thank goodness my darling has a better eye to find them than I do.
Needless to say we had to have an omelet (or omelette for my English-speaking friends and family) for dinner.  Oh my goodness talk about orange yolks.  You could really tell they are free-ranging hens!  Wow, they eat all the ticks and bugs around the house and then turn around and give me beautiful and delicious eggs.  What a deal!
I know you don't need a recipe to make an omelet, so you're not getting a recipe with this post.  This is just bragging rights today. :-) I just fried some bacon, sautéed fresh onions, garlic and bell peppers and spiced it all with pepper and a little kosher salt.  After beating 11 (yes that many, they are very small) eggs, I beat in some milk and poured it over the mixture in the pan.  You know the rest of the story, I'm sure.  A little grated cheese at the end and it was done. Yummmmmie!  I'm glad to know that eggs from free-range chickens that get plenty of exercise are lower in cholesterol than others.

You only need one ruler to measure an egg, but two to
keep it from rolling off the countertop!
Look at all those tiny egg shells and
that beautiful orange omelet.

Fresh eggs and fresh
produce = two happy campers!


No comments:

Post a Comment